This last month was busy with my mom visiting us here in Canada, if anyone had too much it has to be my little man 😀 he looooooved having grandma around. He also realised granma trumps mom 😀 and obviously I am just going to saw i was lazy to update the blog… So what better way to comeback with a post than this summer berry cake (before the summer and the berries end 😀 )
Summer Berry Cake:
If this cake doesn’t scream summer, I don’t know what does… Summer berry cake, it’s a light airy lemon cake filled and frosted with sweet summery elderflower whipped cream cheese frosting! the summer berry cake is also sandwiched with homemade strawberry jam. 😀 The whipped cream frosting is similar to the one from Blueberry and Chamomile Cake.
- Strawberries - 500gm
- Sugar - 150gm
- Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Water - 60ml or 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour - 180gm / 11/2 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Butter - 150gm or 10 tbsp
- Sugar- 150gm or 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Zest - 2 teaspoons
- Baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- Milk - 90ml or 1/3 cup
- Heavy cream/cream - 250ml / 1 cup
- Cream Cheese - 200gm / scant 1 cup or approx 8 ounces
- Icing sugar - 3 tablespoons
- Elderflower cordial - 2-3 teaspoons
- Berries (cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberry) - 250gm-500gm
- Clean and cut the tops of the strawberries.
- In a heavy pan, add strawberries, water, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook it on low heat until all the sugar is dissolved and the jam thickens (20-30 minutes).
- Once it cools down to room temperature, transfer it to sterilised glass jar.
- The jam will last upto 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line the cake tins with parchment sheet.
- Separate the eggs yolks and the whites.
- Add the egg whites in a large bowl, using a stand mixer attached with the balloon whisk. Whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
- In an another bowl, add the butter and sugar. Using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks to this mixture and beat for a minute or two.
- Add milk, lemon zest.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder) into the wet mixture. Add lemon juice into the batter.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into 3 baking tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Once baked, let it cool on a cooling rack.
- Add the cream cheese, using a whisk or a paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Whisk till its light and fluffy.
- Add the chilled heavy cream into the bowl and whip till medium stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the icing sugar and whisk till stiff peaks are formed.
- Add elderflower cordial as needed and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Keep the frosting in the refrigerator until the cake is ready to be frosted.
- Assembly of the cake
- On a cake board/ cake stand, put a dollop of filling on the bottom and place the bottom layer of the cake on the base.
- Add a layer of elderflower whipped cream cheese frosting
- Add few fresh summer berries (cherries, blueberries and strawberries) and strawberry jam on the frosting layer.
- Add another cake layer and repeat.
- Add the top layer, with dollops of elderflower frosting, .
- Garnish with more fresh berries..