First post of the year.. yes i was partly lazy but hey we moved to different city now.. we moved to Bangalore, Little man started play school, Axl’s Little shop is getting slightly busy… 😀 things are moving ahead slowly but moving ahead.. which is good.. and the strawberry season is in , which means i am drowning in cakes with strawberries,.. can you believe i got the most delicious strawberries on the road side for 50 rs a pack! probably the most delicious ones i have had in India so far. Been reading up on using herbs in baking… thyme has been slowly peaking in a few cakes and desserts already, i wanted to try rosemary this time so here it is…. the cake has a earthy notes in it along with the sweet hint of strawberry. The flavour of rosemary needed to be subtle and yet give a nice punch!
Rosemary infused milk:
- Rosemary – 2-3 sprigs
- Milk – 125ml
Cake: (makes 1x 8 inch cake)
- All purpose flour / maida – 120gm + 2 tablespoon for dusting the strawberries
- Butter – 100gm
- Sugar – 100gm
- Eggs – 2 large
- Baking Powder – teaspoon
- Rosemary infused milk – 80ml
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Strawberry – 10-15 or about 15gm
- White chocolate – 25 gm
Rosemary infused milk:
- In a small heavy bottomed pan, add the milk and rosemary sprigs. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn of the heat and let the rosemary sprigs soak up in the milk for another 15 minutes.
- Strain the milk and let it come to room temperature.
- Wash the strawberries and cut them into halves, roll it in some flour, this helps the strawberries to not sink into the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line the cake tin with parchment sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light, pale and fluffy.
- Add and beat one egg at a time.
- Add the vanilla and rosemary infused milk and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and place the flour coated strawberries in a circle.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, check with a wooden skewer to see if completely baked.
- Once baked, let it cool on a cooling rack.
- You can either melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the cake or dust it a wee bit with icing sugar.
- Enjoy a big slice for breakfast