Strawberry and rose pavlova:
Ever since I made my Christmas Pavlova, I couldn’t wait to make another one soon after. This was one of the Valentine’s desserts this year and it is absolutely delicate and a show stopper dessert! The pavlova is flavoured with rose water and it is perfectly light on the outside and chewy inside, the meringue is then stacked and filled with whipped cream and juicy roasted strawberries, to tie it all up the pavlova is drizzled with strawberry syrup.
Tips to get the perfect pavlova:
- Use room temperature egg whites, they whip up better.
- Clean all the equipment (bowl, whip attachment, spatula) with lemon juice or vinegar.
- Make sure there is not even a speck of egg yolk in your egg whites.
- Clean and dry all the bowls before you melt chocolate.
- You can use lemon juice or vinegar instead of cream of tartar.
Strawberry and Rose Pavlova
- Strawberries - 500gm
- Sugar - 75gm or 1/3 cup
- rose water - 11/2 tablespoons
- Egg whites - 150gm or egg whites from 6 large eggs approx.
- Caster sugar or berry sugar - 300gm
- Cream of tartar - 1/4 teaspoon or lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Rose water -1 teaspoon add more for a stronger flavour
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
- Whipping cream - 500ml or 2 cups
- Vanilla bean paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Icing sugar - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh strawberries
- Strawberry syrup
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees celsius or 220 F.
- Clean and cut strawberries into quarters or halves. Add the strawberries to the baking sheet and sprinkle the rose water and sugar over the chopped berries.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from oven and keep aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees celsius or 220F.
- On a large sheet of parchment, mark and draw circles of 3 times , 8 inches in diameter. Place this sheet on a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with whip attachment. Whip the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Turn the speed to low - medium and gradually add the sugar, whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the rose water and whip on low for about 30 seconds.
- Scoop out the meringue on the parchment with circles.
- Scoop the meringue for about 1-1.5 inch high. Swirl on top with the spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Using a tooth pick and some gel food colouring you draw some swirls around to give a peppermint swirl look.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1:30 hours.
- Try to not open the oven mid bake. Once its baked, let it cool down in the oven so it does not crack the pavlova.
Vanilla Whipped cream
- Add the whipped cream in a bowl, fitted with a whip attachment.
- When the cream reaches soft peaks, add the icing sugar and vanilla.
- Whip till stiff peaks are formed. Chill it in the refrigerator until needed.
- On a cake board or cake stand, place the bottom layer of the pavlova and add a layer of whipped cream and roasted strawberry pieces.
- Repeat for the next two layers.
- Garnish with roasted and fresh strawberries.
- Drizzle with the strawberry syrup from the roasted strawberries.