(makes about 10 medium size cakes)
Cake flour – 100gm
Butter – 100gm
Sugar – 80gm
Eggs – 2 large
Baking powder – 1/2 tablespoon
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tablespoon
Lemon Essence – 1 teaspoon
fresh lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk – 60ml
Fresh strawberries – 10-12 large
Sugar – 25-30gm
Strawberry buttercream frosting:
Butter – 100gm
Icing sugar – 100-120gm
Milk – 1-2 tablespoon
Strawberry crushed – 60ml
Strawberry compote – 1 tablespoon
few drops of red colour (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius and line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Whip the butter (cut in small squares) and sugar with an electric blender, until creamy and fluffy.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until fluffy and add it to the butter-sugar mix.
- Add the vanilla, lemon essence, lemon juice and the lemon zest and beat with an electric blender.
- Add the egg yolks and shift the flour and mix it well. Add in the buttermilk to this mix as well.
- Fill the cupcake batter to about 3/4 of the liner and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Check after 16 minutes to see if its baked. Bake until golden brown.
Chop the strawberries and blend it in the electric processor. Pour the crush into a pan with some sugar and cook until it thickens. Keep aside a tablespoon for the buttercream frosting.
Core the cupcakes and pour the compote into the cupcakes after the cupcakes are cooled.
- Cream the butter using the electric blender and add the icing sugar in small portions and blend.
- Add the vanilla. Keep adding icing sugar at regular intervals.
- Add the strawberry crush and strawberry compote.
- Add few drops of red colour to give it a pink colour to the buttercream. Frost it on the cupcakes after they have been cooled.