The cupcake’s got a digestive biscuit base, with a chocolate cake and a toasted marshmallow frosting… Just a bite of everything in a cupcake to remind you of s’mores…
- Digestive biscuits – 200gm
- Butter – 100gm
Chocolate cupcakes (makes 12 standard cupcakes)
- Flour – 120gm
- Butter – 100gm
- Sugar -100gm
- Eggs – 2 large
- Cocoa powder – 60gm
- Expresso powder – 2 teaspoons (optional)
- Melted Dark Chocolate – 50gm
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 125ml
- Egg whites – 3
- Caster sugar – 350gm
- Water – 125ml
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- In a muffin tin, liner the cupcake liners.
- Crush or blitz the digestive cookies, almost finely and melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed/ powdered digestive biscuits and melted butter well.
- Scoop a spoonful or more in the liner and using the back of a rolling pin, softly compress it to form a firm base. make sure to have a decent thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- Add the Vanilla, expresso powder and the melted chocolate.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add the hot water and mix until completely incorporated.
- Pour in the cupcake batter on top of the biscuit base in the cupcake liner to about 2/3rd of the liner.
- Bake for 20 minutes, check from about 18 minutes to see if completely baked.
- Once baked, let it cool.
- In a large glass/ steel bowl, add the egg whites and lemon juice and whip the egg whites until almost stiff peaks.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add water and sugar and heat it on low-medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the sugar syrup slowly into the bowl of whipped egg whites and whip until stiff peaks are formed (It takes approx 10 minutes of whipping with a hand mixer)
- Add the vanilla and whip for another 30 seconds.
Frost on the Cooled cupcakes and torch it with a kitchen torch or you can keep it in the oven on high heat (from top) for 30 seconds.