This is a chocolate cherry cake, its a 4 layer mini (4.5′) devil’s food cake with cherry buttercream frosting and a cherry-brandy compote, doused with dark chocolate drip and garnished with some fresh cherries…
- Cherries (pitted) – 250gm
- Brandy – 60ml
- Sugar – 50 gm
- Water – 30ml
- Cornflour – 1 teaspoon
Devil’s Food Cake:
- Flour – 180gm
- Dark brown sugar – 150gm
- Butter – 150gm
- Eggs – 3 large
- Cocoa powder – 60gm
- Expresso – 125ml
- Boiling Water – 100ml
- Baking powder – 1teaspoon
- Baking soda -1 teaspoon
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon
- Cherry Compote – 3 tablespoons
- Butter – 80 gm
- Icing sugar – 200gm
Dark Chocolate Drip
- Dark Chocolate (chopped) – 50gm
- Butter – 25gm
- Cherries to garnish
Cherry- Brandy Compote:
- Pit the cherries.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add the cherries, sugar, water and brandy and cook.
- Add the cornflour and cook until it thickens slightly.
- Clean and dry a glass jar, add the cooked cherries.
- Once cooled, refrigerate.
Devil’s Food Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line the baking tin with parchment sheet.
- In a small bowl, add the boiling water and cocoa and mix into a paste.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale, fluffy and smooth.
- Beat in one egg at a time. Add vanilla.
- Add the cocoa mixture and expresso to the butter-sugar-egg mixture.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix thoroughly until completely incorporated.
- Divide and pour the batter into the baking tins.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, check from about 18 minutes.
- Check to see if completely baked by poking the cake with a wooden skewer.
- Once baked, let it cool on a cooling rack.
Cherry Buttercream Frosting:
- Blitz 3 tablespoons of cherry-brandy compote, until almost fine.
- In a bowl, cream the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Mix the blitzed cherry in the butter.
- Add the icing sugar in batches and whip until the required consistency.
Assembling the Cake:
- Slice the tops of the cake, so they are all of uniform thickness.
- Place a small dollop of cherry buttercream on a cake board.
- Place the bottom most cake layer on the dollop of cherry buttercream.
- Pipe the cherry buttercream along the edges of the cake layer, like a circle.
- Brush the kirsch (liquid from the cherry -brandy compote) on to the center of the cake layer.
- Spoon in the cherry pieces from the compote.
- Place a second layer of cake on top of the layer and repeat until all the layers are complete.
- Smoothen the sides of the cake with buttercream (I wanted to make a naked cake). You can also frost the cake with a thin layer of buttercream as a crumb coat.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to a hour.
Dark Chocolate Drip:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the chopped chocolate and butter.
- Heat it on a low, let the butter melt and mix with the chocolate.
- Let the chocolate come to about room temperature.
Final Assembly of the Cake:
- Pour the melted chocolate on the cooled cake.
- Cool the cake for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Pipe small blobs of buttercream on the cake.
- Place fresh cherries on the blobs of buttercream.
- Serve with a large cup of tea….