This is one of my favourite desserts from SA. Soo Sooo good, I wont lie 😀 Just bowls and bowls of comfort. We (I) wanted to make it for our New Year’s Lunch at home. Jason got the recipe of this malwa pudding from his mom, we just tweaked the recipe a wee wee bit like reducing the amount of sugar.
Oh this is also the first post of the year! yayyy.. here’s to more baking 😀
Recipe for the homemade vanilla custard can be found “here”
The baking dish that i used in this post is from “Crate & Barrel”
- Malwa Pudding
Cake (14x9' dish)
- Butter - 50gm or 4 tablespoons
- Caster sugar - 200gm or 2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Apricot Jam- 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda - 2 teaspoons
- Brown vinegar/ apple cider vinegar - 2 teaspoons
- All purpose flour- 250gm or 2 cups
Creamy Caramel Sauce
- Cream - 375ml or 11/2 cup
- Sugar - 225gm or 1 cup
- Butter - 190gm or 7 ounces
- Water - 190ml or 3/4 cup
- Vanilla - 2 teaspoons
- Homemade Vanilla Custard recipe link in post
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius or 350F.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and caster sugar. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add and beat one egg at a time.
- Add the apricot jam and vinegar and mix on low speed.
- Sift the baking soda and flour into the bowl and mix on low speed until completely mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Creamy caramel sauce
- Work on the caramel sauce when the cake base is about to be done.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add all the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Pour the sauce as soon as the cake base is baked and hot out of oven.
- Serve with custard or icecream.
Happy New year guys!