When life gives you stone fruit… you make delicious pies and galettes… Galette’s seems more appropriate when you living in hot weather, coz you don’t need to worry about the pie crust too much! Its beautiful and rustic and ofcourse delicious!!! :D
Pastry: (makes 2 galette)
- Flour – 180gm
- Salt – pinch
- Cold cubed butter – 100gm
- Egg yolk – 1
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Ice cold water – 30-50ml
- Peaches – 3 (sliced)
- Plums -2 (sliced)
- Chpped Peacans – 30gm
- Dark Brown sugar – 100gm
- Whiskey – 60ml
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and Egg for egg wash
- In a large bowl, Sift the flour. Add the sugar and salt and mix well.
- Add the cold cubed butter, rub it into the flour with your finger tips or a pastry cutter until it resembles the wet sand.
- Add the egg yolk and mix.
- Sprinkle the ice water on the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Roll it up in a cling film and let it chill for about an hour.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the brown sugar, butter and vanilla. Heat it up on low until the sugar is dissolved.
- Slice up the fruits and keep aside.
Assembling the galette
- Divide the dough into two and roll it out as a circle on a well floured surface.
- Leave about 1-2 inches from the edge, arrange the peach and plum slices along the centre in concentric circles.
- Fold the edges of the pastry, so as it covers the sliced and arranged fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Pour the whisky filling sauce on the fruits.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on the fruits.
- Whisk the egg and brush the sides of the pastry with beaten egg, sprinkle some sugar on the pastry.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve it hot from the oven with a dollop of ice cream or fresh cream with a big cup of tea/ coffee.