This is one another south African desserts i absolutely looooove. We have all been sick for last couple of weeks and these little delights were my comfort food 😀 😀
Bolas are deep friend doughnut balls coated with sugar syrup and desiccated coconut. The recipe is from Jason’s mom obviously 😀 and its super simple, make them up in a full batch and trust me you will eat them for a few days, i have been gobbling them up for breakfast, with tea and there may or may not have been a bolas dinner too -_- don’t judge me 🙂
The recipe for the b0las is as follows :
- Butter - 125gm / 1/2 cup + tbsp of butter
- Milk - 250ml / 1 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Sugar - 150gm / 3/4 cup
- Water - 125ml / 1/2 cup
- Cake flour - 500 gm / 5 cups
- All purpose flour -480 (4 cups) gm + 20gm (4 tsp) baking powder
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying - approx 750ml - 1 litre
- Sugar - 400gm / 2cups
- Water - 500ml / 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1 stick
- Desiccated coconut - 2 cups
- In a small sauce pan, heat the milk and butter together until its melted and mixed together, bring it to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, using a spatula or a paddle attachment fitted to a stand mixer. Cream the eggs and sugar.
- Add the milk butter mixture.
- Add the water and salt.
- Sift in the flour and mix thoroughly.
- In a deep pan or a deep fryer, heat the oil to medium - high. Scoop tablespoons of dough and drop it in the oil and deep fry until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, take them out and cool to room temperature.
- While the doughnut balls are cooling down, add water, sugar and cinnamon in a small pan.
- Heat until the sugar is completely melted and syrupy.
- Dunk in the doughnut in the hot syrup for a couple of seconds, until the sugar syrup is partly soaked in.
- Keep the desiccated coconut in another bowl, roll the sugar syrup soaked balls in the coconut.
- Serve warm/ cold ..
- enjoy for days!