We were recently in Bangalore, one of the places where you get nice fruits and berries… so grabbed a pack of blueberries and cherries (they are quite pricey to stock up also we dont really have a giant sized freezer! :P) I have rationed the use of these blueberries haha…
Blueberry – Lemon Muffins: (Makes 6 giant bakery styled muffins)
- Flour – 250 gm
- Butter – 120 gm
- Milk/ Buttermilk – 200ml
- Eggs – 2 large
- Baking powder – 11/2 teaspoon
- Blueberries – 150gm / A handful
- Caster Sugar – 100gm
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
For sprinkling on top
- Granulated sugar – 50gm
- Lemon Zest – 2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line the muffin tin with liners. I made parchment sheet muffin liners using the method from “The Kitchn.”
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add and beat one egg at a time.
- Add the buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the blueberries into the batter.
- Scoop 2 ice cream scoops of batter in the liners.
- Mix the granulated sugar and lemon zest, sprinkle this mixture on the batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Check to see if completely baked from about 25 minutes.
- Once baked, serve with a dollop of cream or butter or some cheese as jason likes it!