Salted Caramel one of the most delicious thing one could make at home… it’s also the easiest and the most difficult one.. Sometimes it just takes you few minutes and sometime even if you try 3 times it doesnt work out! In india also you dont get heavy/ double cream everywhere but where we stay they use buffalo milk which is super creamy and rich. I bought a few litres of milk, chilled it overnight in the fridge and scooped out the heavy cream that’s on the top layer. It’s absolutely delicious too!!! :D
- Butter (cold and cubed) – 100gm
- Caster sugar – 200gm
- Heavy cream/ double cream (or) even the thick part of amul cream – 125ml
- Sea salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat up the sugar on a low and steady heat. After a couple of minutes, you will notice that the sugar gets lumpy. (Step 1 and 2)
- Keep stirring the sugar until it melts completely and wait for it to turn amber or slightly dark brown (dont let it turn too dark, the sugar will be burnt and bitter). This is one of the crucial steps as this gives the colour of the caramel (Step 3).
- Add the butter cubes into the melted sugar syrup and give it a good swirl. (Be careful with this step and the next, as sugar might splutter and its HOT!!!) its not fun trust me… (Step 4)
- Turn off the heat and add the cold heavy cream, this boils and splutters even more as the heavy cream is very cold.
- Give a nice swirl until its all mixed and add the sea salt and give it a good mix.
- Voila your salted caramel is done.
- Pour it on ice-creams, brownies, cakes, cupcakes or use it in baking!
- You can keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks in an airtight bottle.